November 5, 2009

Idly Upma

My maternal grandmother used to make this for me when I was younger and I loved it! Usually, she'd make this for lunch or dinner, and would make it with leftover idlies from the morning. I think it makes a great snack and goes very well with South-Indian filter coffee!

You need -
3 left over idlies
3 tsp idly powder/mollagapodi (recommend MTR if you don't have the homemade variety)
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp mustard seeds for seasoning

What you need to do -
- Powder the idly with your hands until it gets a rough consistency like rava upma
- In a pan, heat the oil and burst the mustard seeds
- Add the powdered idly and sautee until the oil spreads evenly
- Add the mollagapodi and sautee for another 2-3 minutes

Serve hot with coconut chutney!

*Apologies for the poor picture quality. My camera's out of order and I am using my phone to take pictures.

1 comment:

Black Swan said...

I absolutely love idly upmas! especially with lots of chopped onions. :) :) Thanks for reminding me!