August 21, 2009

Basundhi

Serves four.

I had a few friends coming over for lunch and card games one Saturday, and I decided to try my hand at Basundhi. It took time - but was actually quite easy to put together.
You need -
1l milk
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom (powdered)
6 crushed almonds
3 strands of saffron

What you have to do -
- Boil the milk in a kadai until it reduces to half its quantity - you'll start seeing layers in the milk
- Add the sugar and mix until it dissolves
- Once it comes down to 1/4th it's quantity, add the cardamom and saffron
- When the mix is layered and coarse, take it off the flame and garnish with almonds
- Serve hot or cold!

Note: This is a very heavy dessert.

3 comments:

amna said...

babes!! i am so impressed with all the awesomeness in here! this is a fave especially!!!

we are making sweet kozhakkattai today too, me and my mom :)

Darshini Santhanam said...

Nice nice nice :) How's the trip coming along?

Unknown said...

this one is a hit for me. Its actually super easy ( though time consuming) and it tastes awesome with bread too (just for a change).-Sravani