August 30, 2009

Rajma Masala

Serves two.

Rajma Masala was the standard Sunday family lunch when I was growing up. It's not very easy to make, but is definitely worth all the effort!


You need -
1.5 cups of red rajma beans
Finely chopped - 2 tomatoes, 2 onions, some ginger and chillies, coriander
Garam masala and salt

What you have to do -
- Soak the beans in 8 times the amount of water for 24 hours and then pressure cook for 10-15 whistles depending on how soft you want the beans
- In a kadai, sautee the onions, ginger and chillies in 2tsps of oil until golden brown
- Add the tomatoes and salt to taste
- Once it turns soft, add 2 spoons of garam masala, and the rajma with the water, and cook until the water evaporates to make it as dry/wet as you prefer it
- Garnish with fresh finely chopped onions and coriander

Best served with -
- Basmati rice
- Rotis

Enjoy on a cold rainy Sunday afternoon!

7 comments:

amna said...

10-15 whistles?? Wow!! I don't think I have ever let it go that long. Useful to know though..

Darshini Santhanam said...

It just takes really long for me. Also, I like the rajma really soft. So, that's why :D

Unknown said...

yep, maybe its the water I use, but I have to pressure cook it with >15 whistles actually. the same happens with chole too, so Im guessing its the water. -Sravani

Ree said...

i agree with darshini on the whistles bit. rajma is tough to cook and extremely high on protein content, and like its name suggests (kidney beans), its excellent for ur kidney :)
yes, 10-12 whistles does it for me because i like my rajma with a lil character, not too soft :) and i soak it in tepid water so it softens more
ur inspiring!i am trying it this weekend. being stuck at home with extra holidays n nowhere to go leads me invariably into kitchen experiments :)

Ricky Jacob said...

Tried making this.. Took me 3 long hrs.. :X
Lesson learnt-'If you don;t have a pressure cooker, don't try this at home'..!! :)

Never again did..!

Darshini Santhanam said...

Yup! Ricky - the pressure cooker is integral to the success of the Rajma!

Tani said...

its realy a delicious dish yr...
n easy to cook tooo...
i m loving it...