August 22, 2009

Kozhakattai (sweet coconut dumplings) Part 1

Every year, my grandma would make the most delicious Kozhakattais on Ganesh Chaturthi day. This year, I'm in Hyderabad, and so I decided to try making them myself. This is a delicate dish and takes time, so I'm making it over two days.

Today, I made the two batters (meil mau & poornam), and tomorrow I'm going to make the actual kozhakattais. Here's what I did today:

For the outer shell (meil mau)

You need -
1 cup rice
4 spoons of coconut oil
A pinch of salt

What you have to do -
- Soak the rice in 2 cups of water for 2 hours
- Strain the water (but save for later use) and put the rice in a blender
- Blend until you get the pasty consistency of a very thick soup
- On a very low flame, put the rice paste, the coconut oil and the pinch of salt in a kadai
- Stir continuously until it gets hard but not too dry - it should have the same consistency as the batter you'd make for rotis
- Put away in a box in the fridge

For the inner filling (poornam)

You need -
1 coconut
Some jaggery
Some ground cardamom

What you have to do:
- Grate the coconut or put it in a blender for a few minutes
- Heat a kadai on a low flame and melt a small cup of jaggery
- Once it starts to turn into liquid, add the coconut and cardamom
- Continue to stir the mix on the low flame until it gets crunchy and the liquid is no longer separate from the coconut
- Put in a bowl and put away in the fridge

For part 2, visit this post.

No comments: