September 12, 2009

Coconut Laddu

Makes 12 balls.

I had some left over coconut after I was done making Kozhakattais. So. I decided to quickly try my hand at coconut barfi. That didn't work out very well, so I was left with coconut balls. Trust me, they taste as good - just look different!


You need -
1 large cup of shaved coconut
3 tb spoons milk
2 spoons sugar (more if you want it sweeter)
6 pieces of ground cardamom
Some ghee

What you have to do -
- Fry the shaved coconut in one spoon of ghee until it gets crispy
- In a kadai, boil the milk along with the sugar, a spoon of ghee and the ground cardamom
- Add the fried coconut shavings and sautee until it's hard
- Make small balls and put away in the fridge until you have to serve it

3 comments:

amna said...

is this your own idea? either ways, a lovely sweet!!

Nandini Vishwanath said...

You make kozhakattai? For what joy when you aren't married and when you don't have anyone to crib to about cooking?

Darshini Santhanam said...

Nags - thanks :D

Nandu - I do, because it's beautiful! And when I crave it, I have no choice but to make it for myself - living so far away from home and all of that.